Sunday, August 12, 2012

AUCKLAND, OLYMPICS AND KENNY ROGERS





Dress: Jacqui E
Scarf: Thrifted
Shoes: Dance Pacific
Purse: Forever new
This week we got to enjoy our anniversary presents-mine was a trip for 2 nights to Auckland to visit my dear friend Kinloch who I haven't seen in over 4 years. It was an absolute treat and we had so much fun catching up, giggling and chatting about what's been happening since we he moved overseas.
My gift to my beloved was concert tickets to see one his favourite singers-Kenny Rogers. I'm not a massive fan but certainly don't dislike his music and the concert was really enjoyable. Despite his age he performed well and he was really funny and charmed the audience well.
My iphone took terrible Auckland photos so these photos are just ones from the weekend-this is a pretty standard maternity outfit for me.
Which leads to....A word about maternity dressing....
I have found it extremely difficult finding flattering, feminine and dressy clothes throughout the pregnancy. Christchurch is a limited place to find clothes in general and for the first time I found that op shopping was not always the best place to find clothes as the styles I was looking for were even more limited than before and I am growing out of things every 2 weeks.

Here is a wee list of rules I have now shopping for pregnancy:

1) Do not buy anything in a fabric that doesn't stretch. This is so items last longer than 2 weeks while baby is growing so much. Polyester is great as it still looks dressy. This also means that the garment may pop back into a nice shape even after baby is born.
2) Always remember your signature style and what sort of look you want overall for your wardobe.
3) Don't, no matter hpw tempting, buy something just because it fits. This is particularly tempting after looking at 10 shops and not finding anything that isn't stretchy yoga pants that fit.
4) Look at blogs or google vintage maternity outfits to find styles that fit your look and will still be flattering. I found it frustrating continuously having shop assitants telling me to try 'casual' outfits on (read:trackpants). I wear the same stuff on days off as when I am working and don't so trackpants unless I am excersising. This meant I had to look long and hard to find dresses and skirts that were pregnant friendly that weren't a gigantic mumu.
5) Be patient and bring someone else with you if you can. They can remind you how quickly you are growing and whether you will fit it in 2 weeks, if it is flattering and if it suits your overall style. If you keep looking, you will find exactly what you are looking for, it just may not happen in one shopping trip.
6) Ask shop assistants for help and describe what you are looking for. I learnt quickly which assistants couldn't be bothered helping me and which ones understood what I was looking for. Often the best assistants have already had pregant customers (or co-workers) wanting similar outfits so this narrows the try-ons a lot. I found 2 great shops like this and ended up buying whole outfits from these 2 places.
7) Write a list of what you are looking for. This is a general life rule for me ;)
8) If you are planning on breast feeding, keep this in mind when buying-if the garment doesn't open at the front then I don't buy it as I want to be able to wear everything I have bought after baby is born.
6) Quality over quanity. Again a genneral shopping rule for me. Better to have 3 fantatsic and versatile dresses over 10 average ones.
7) Accessories! You will not grow out of earrings, a handbag, shoes or hats in 2 weeks.

So there are my pregnant shopping rules!


BLV xxxxxx

2 comments:

  1. Those anniversary presents sound fantastic! And what a wonderful list of tips for pregnancy wardrobes & shopping. I will keep it in mind if I ever have a wee one myself. Looking so gorgeous in that dress, & it's styled so well with the blue bag. Xx

    ReplyDelete